Thursday, November 12, 2009

I guess I meant it when I said a while!

What can I say, the past few months have been back to the "NORMAL" grind of everyday life. It is hard to believe that we just past the 1 year (i hate to say the word anniversary as that word conjures up feelings of celebration) mark of Nick's ordeal. He has been 5 months out of Chemo and things have been going well (hence the lack of communication on my part). Here are some of the highlights of the past few months:

July- Spent most of the time enjoying the summer and hanging at the pool and/or beach. It was great to power down and get caught up on life again.

August - Football!!!! yes, Nicholas actually played football this season. We were very scared/concerned, but he was determined. He made it through the conditioning phase of the first 2 weeks quite well given the fact that he had only been out of the hospital for 5 weeks. His weight was down and he was weaker than he had been, but this was the best physical therapy there was. He was with his friends and teammates, doing something that he loves (i still remember the day of his surgery, him being concerned about whether or not he would be able to play in his final game that weekend). The season progressed into pads, with full contact and he did remarkably well. He made it all the way through the season (11 games and 14 weeks of practice, 3 nights a week). I am happy to say that he is stronger, faster and his coordination is so much better than when he started back in August. All in all, a very good experience.

September - Back to School! His return was fraught with much apprehension at first, but after the first day, all was well. The teachers and kids were all great and welcomed him back. Most importantly, after the first day, it was as if he never had left. Returning back to a normal life is the greatest pleasure one can know after a year of total chaos.

Now for the great news (saved the best for last). Nick had his first follow-up MRI and Spinal in September (he will go every 3 months for the next several years) and everything came back great. I must say that the week prior to his follow-up is quite stressful, but for now we can live in ignorant bliss until sometime next month!

I will try and post some photos and try to be more diligent (at least every 3 months) in keeping everyone up to date with Nick's on-going results. So many people (some i know, some i have never met) have come up to me and told me how they have been praying for Nick. All I can say is "THANK YOU" all and please don't stop.

1 comment:

Duran Family said...

Hi Nick and family,

I was thinking of all of you and checked today to see if there was an update. Thanks for the update and we are so happy with your good news Nick! Kelly, Brett and Jen ask about you and Kelly's hockey season is starting up again. She is a junior now, Brett is in 8th grade and Jen a bubbling 6th grader. They hope to meet all of you someday. We look forward to more updates and would love some pictures!

Love, Duran's from Woburn....