Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Final Round

On Thursday, Nick and Deb headed back into CHOP to begin the Last and Final Round of his Chemo treatments. While I know that he was excited that this would be it, I think it was also the most difficult. The weather is nice and his brother and sister are finishing up school this week. The pool is open and the last place you want to be is stuck inside the hospital for 2 week!

The good news is that he has made it through the toughest part of the treatment and is doing quite well. He has tolerated the chemo with only slight nausea and a low grade fever. The worst of it is over. Today is hydration day and on Monday, he will receive his stem cells and then the waiting game begins. We are hopeful that he will follow the same routine and be out in a couple of weeks.

We are so very proud of Nick. He has really powered through this, with good spirits and a great attitude. In talking with the oncology staff this week, Deb asked about the protocol and whether or not what we are experiencing is the norm. It turns out that only about 50% of the kids actually make it through the study and others have significant delays due to complications (infections, relapse, etc) that can last months. We are thankful that Nick was able to avoid that hardship.

I also want to mention how proud we are of Samantha and Peter. While i write a lot about Nick and his progress, i feel the obligation to let everyone know how they are both doing. As you can imagine, this whole ordeal has been very difficult for all of us. Sam and Pete have had to endure many late nights at the hospital, constant traveling, and an altogether chaotic schedule. Most weekends were spent at the hospital, along with many nights of us not getting home to after 10pm. Throughout all of this, they were able to juggle school work, sports and increased responsibilities at home. Deb and I are very proud of them both. Never once did they complain, get angry or jealous of the attention Nick would receive. They have been supportive of him throughout and really stepped up big this year.

I will keep everyone updated on his progress over the next few days and look forward to the Count Up (increasing cell counts) to the end of Round 4!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The homestretch is within your grasp! Hang in there. I'm still praying for your recovery and your family.

Duran Family said...

We are so proud of you Nick! You are doing great and we wish you well as you enter this round of treatment. It is so great that you have an awesome brother and sister that have been so helpful. You have a great family and keep strong.

Thinking of you in Woburn, MA...
Paul, Colleen, Kelly, Brett & Jen

Unknown said...

Hey Nick, I hear you are getting better. I hope you will get out of the hospital quickly. I'm sorry you are missing these sunny, beautiful days. When you get just a little bit better, maybe we can play together. Hope you get better Nick. I'm so proud of you for fighting through these tough and hard times.

From, Jack Lawton

heathmer8 said...

WOW...that's the best word I can think of right now. I think of your family and Nick every day and how amazing you all are through this challenge. I'm sure you read that often and think, 'and you don't even know the half of it!' We are all continually impressed.

And, what great statements of Peter and Sam. Their strength surely added to the success of everything you've done and been through. And even though such an incredible challenge, I have to imagine that it made not only Nick stronger, but the two of them.

So, WOW. We've got high cell count pixie dust headed your way!

Heather, Jef, Grace and Logan