Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Strong Finish - End of Round 2

As you all know by now, the second round started out a bit rough. Nick spent 3 days in intensive care recovering from what they believe to have been an infection. At least that is what we are hoping it was, because the alternative is that he had a reaction to the treatment which means that this could happen 2 more times.

Well Nick bounce right back and believe it or not, his first day back from the ICU, he was back to walking his 1.5 miles a day and going to his tutor. You would not have believed that 2 days earlier he was in such bad shape.

According to the staff here, the usual course is that every round is at least 1 day longer than the previous as your body takes longer to recover each time. Given the complications at the beginning, we thought that it may even be longer this time around. If you do the math, this meant Nick wouldn't be home until mid week, next week and he would have to spend Easter in the hospital. We were all disappointed about this, but there really wasn't much that we could do about it, so we set about making plans for Easter at CHOP.

Now those of you that know Deb, know that she is quite the determined gal. It turns out that she must have passed this gene on to Nick. Because even though there wasn't much we could do about it, that didn't mean that Nick couldn't! On Friday his counts started to rise to about 500 and on Saturday they had jumped to 3,900. This means that we are going home today! This is 2 days earlier than last time! People here are amazed and quite honestly, so are we.

So yesterday I set off to Wegman's to buy all the fixings for Easter Dinner. For all the men, and some of the women, out there, just an FYI.....never go to Wegman's 2 days before a holiday. It was madness (John Barton knows what I mean), but for the first time, i didn't really care.

Right now, Nick and I are just sitting around, waiting to be discharged so we can get home. We will have to come back early next week for some tests, but then we get to spend spring break together as a family. Timing is everything!

Happy Easter to everyone!

5 comments:

Trish Evans said...

Great News! We are so happy that you will be able to spend Easter together and will continue to keep the entire Calvaresi family in our prayers. Nick, keep up the fight- you are one strong boy!

Trish, Matthew and Stephen Evans

Molly, Phyllis and Kevin OBrien said...

That's great Nick! I had so much fun spending time with everyone at the hospital. It is a very nice facility with nice nurses. I was so inspired from my experience that on Tuesday, I will be dropping off some homemade chocolate chip cookies for Nick's floor. I know you might not be their, but my dad and I are going to be in Philly on that day...so why not!
-Molly O'Brien

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of Nick. Since day one of practice going on 4 years ago now. I knew recognized Nick as one of the brightest, toughest, sweetest kids I have ever met.I know he will get through this test. And my friend and I am proud to say mentor David you will too. I have to say David has taught me alot about life and coaching and fatherhood in the four years I have known him. I know I kinda let him down a little last year as we were having family stress. Obviously not as much as his but I had to put football on the backburner for a year. I have to say I missed Nick and all of the boys immensely last year. Then when I found out about Nick I was devastated. I loved each and every one of those boys like my own. I have been hoping and praying for Nick and his family since I found out. I know Nick probably won't be back on the field this year, hopefully we will see him there. Hopefully next year he will be able to rejoin us. We are destined to win a title together Dave the stress we have been through this year we deserve it!

Duran Family said...

Great news Nick - we are so happy to read about your strong finish for Round 2. Yes, your mother is a very determined person and you obviously get all your fight from her. I'm sure from your dad too! We are anxious to read more positive updates and we keep thinking about you.

I hope you had a good Easter and I'm sure the Easter Bunny was good to you! My kids had a huge list for the Bunny!

Take care and keep fighting!
Duran's from Woburn (Paul, Colleen, Kelly, Brett & Jen)

heathmer8 said...

Keep up the great work Nick! As I'm sure it's work. Your determination is an example for us all. Hope you enjoyed your Easter break.

All the Best,
Heather, Jef, Logan and Grace